We are working hard with departments across the Queensland Government to best support Queensland motorists during this unprecedented time.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) has made it easier for anyone wanting to cancel their vehicle registration due to the impacts of COVID-19. Customers will also not be required to pay the cancellation fee and will not be required to surrender their number plates. Additionally, most plates will be able to be customised free of charge to streamline re-registration.
Upon cancellation, drivers will receive a refund of the unused components of their registration fee and CTP insurance.
TMR has also made the re-registration processes simpler and more affordable to help get your vehicle back on the road quickly and easily.
How to cancel your vehicle registration
If you wish to cancel your registration due to the COVID-19 health emergency, simply follow the steps below:
- Complete the Department of Transport and Main Roads’ cancellation form electronically and email it to email@example.com. No cancellation fee will be charged.
- You will be refunded the unused components of your registration fee and CTP insurance premium.
- You will not need to surrender your number plates, which will help with re-registration.
- Once you submit your cancellation form, you must not use the vehicle as it will be unregistered.
How to re-register your vehicle
- Visit a TMR customer service centre.
- Pay the registration fees and CTP insurance.
- Use your existing number plates so no new plate fee is payable.
Find out more or cancel your registration online.