Purchasing CTP insurance

You can buy compulsory third party (CTP) insurance from any of Queensland’s licensed CTP insurers or when you register your vehicle through the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR). When choosing your insurer, you can consider additional benefits and incentives that may be offered by some insurers. Learn more about changing CTP insurers and contact the CTP insurer for information on their products.

CTP insurance for rideshare and booked hire operators 

Learn about the CTP insurance premiums and vehicle classes that apply to vehicles used for personalised transport (e.g. taxi cars or station wagons, hire cars, rideshare and booked-hire vehicles).

CTP insurance for unregistered vehicles 

When moving an unregistered vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or caravan on Queensland roads, you may need to get an:

  • unregistered vehicle permit, AND
  • CTP insurance certificate for vehicle class 22.

You can organise both online through the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Visit their unregistered vehicle permit page.

To check how much your CTP insurance will cost, visit our CTP premium calculator.

Last modified 29 September 2023


Got a minute?

We'd love your feedback on our virtual assistant.

Start survey

No thanks

Hello, I'm Andi. I'm here to help you with your CTP related enquiries.