Personalised transport classes

Which CTP class is right for my vehicle?

Vehicles are grouped into different classes based on vehicle type, number of seats and purpose of use. Read on to discover which class applies to the vehicle you use for personalised transport.

Class 1 – cars and station wagons
This class applies to cars and station wagons that are not operated as rideshare vehicles at any time.

Class 3 – taxis (cars and station wagons only)
Class 3 is for taxis (cars and station wagons), excluding maxi taxis.

Class 4 – hire vehicles
This vehicle class is for hire vehicles that would otherwise fall into class 1, 2 or 6 and are not in class 26. This is the correct class if you are hiring a vehicle from a company (e.g. Keyz or Splend) to operate rideshare. These vehicles remain in the name of the hire company and are not transferred into the name of the operator. This class is also the correct class if you rent a car from a car rental franchise (e.g. Budget, Hertz or Europcar) and operate rideshare.

Class 6 – trucks, utilities and vans <4.5t
Class 6 is for trucks, utilities and vans with a gross vehicle mass of less than 4.5t that are not operated as rideshare vehicles at any time.

Class 26 – booked hire vehicles
Class 26 is for booked hire or ‘rideshare’ vehicles (cars, station wagons and utilities) and limousines (cars and station wagons) that are not available, at any time, for hire without a driver. Vehicles which are privately owned and currently registered in class 1 or 6 and operating as rideshare vehicles must transfer to class 26.

View our vehicle classes page for more information.

Frequently asked questions

How do I change to class 26?

To change your vehicle to class 26:

  1. ensure the vehicle is registered in Queensland and has a current certificate of inspection
  2. contact your CTP insurer and ask to move to class 26. Not sure who your CTP insurer is? Insert today’s date and your registration in our insurer search tool
  3. pay the difference in CTP premium to your CTP insurer
  4. apply for a booked hire service licence online or complete this form (PDF, 1KB) and pay the associated fee.

Why is CTP insurance a similar cost for ride booking vehicles, taxi (cars and station wagons) and hire cars?

In response to changing market dynamics, the way that CTP insurance premiums are determined for classes 3, 4 and 26 is being adjusted. From 1 October 2021, vehicles registered in class 3 taxi (cars and station wagons), class 4 hire vehicles and class 26 ride-booking vehicles will be considered a single group and will pay the same base insurer premium charged by insurers (excluding the CTP levies and administration fee).

This aims to unify CTP insurance premiums payable by personalised transport operators who deliver similar services, while ensuring that premiums still cover the cost of claims. The current vehicle classes will be retained for registration purposes, but class 3, 4 and 26 will be treated as a single cohort for calculating CTP insurance premiums. That means they will pay the same CTP insurance premium. Learn more.

I am in class 26 for CTP insurance and no longer wish to use my vehicle to operate rideshare. How do I change back to class 1 or class 6?

Please contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) and complete the Change of Vehicle Particulars Notification Form (PDF, 825KB). This form identifies your vehicle, the registered operator and the nature of the change to the vehicle’s use. If DTMR are satisfied that the change in use is intended to be permanent, you will be issued a notice confirming the change. You may be entitled to a refund of the difference in registration fee from DTMR. This refund depends on when in the current registration period the change to purpose of use is requested.

You may be entitled to a refund of the difference in CTP premium between class 26 and your new class. To get a refund, please notify your CTP insurer advising that you have changed CTP classes. You will need to provide either confirmation from DTMR that you have changed classes, or provide your name, registration number and phone number. You can choose how wish for the refund to be sent to you.

Any refund will exclude levies and fees. Only the registered operator who made payment of the registration in the first instance will be entitled to a refund.

If you are unsure who your CTP insurer is, please use our CTP insurer search.

Last modified 30 July 2021


Got a minute?

We'd love your feedback on our virtual assistant.

Start survey

No thanks

Hello, I'm Andi. I'm here to help you with your CTP related enquiries.