Rehabilitation advice

Many people recover from their injuries and get back to normal activities without treatment or rehabilitation, while others need rehabilitation such as physiotherapy to assist their recovery.

Rehabilitation aims to return you to how you were before the accident, if this is not possible rehabilitation focuses on you obtaining new skills or new ways of doing things.

It is widely recognised that if rehabilitation is needed, it should be provided as soon as possible after the injury. Ask your Doctor / medical practitioner whether they think you need rehabilitation services.

What does the CTP insurer fund?

If the insurer has accepted liability for your claim or agreed to fund rehabilitation without admitting liability, the insurer will pay rehabilitation expenses provided they:

  • are reasonable and appropriate;
  • relate to the injuries from the accident; and
  • are validated e.g. by providing receipts to the insurer.

How rehabilitation or treatment is arranged

To get rehabilitation or treatment for your injury, you can contact the CTP insurer or they will contact you.

1. The insurer contacts you

The information in your medical certificate and claim form may enable the insurer to understand if rehabilitation is needed. In this scenario, the CTP insurer may contact you to discuss your rehabilitation.

 2. You contact the insurer

You can contact the insurer if you or your medical or rehabilitation provider thinks you need rehabilitation. Either:

Request rehabilitation online

or contact the CTP insurer to request funding for your rehabilitation.

You can make this request yourself or through your legal representative (if you have one).

Payment of rehabilitation or treatment expenses

It is best to get approval from the CTP insurer for paying rehabilitation services, before you attend them, to ensure the services will be paid for. Your rehabilitation provider can then send the account directly to the insurer for payment for the treatment that was approved.

If you have paid for rehabilitation and would like to be reimbursed, please provide the insurer with a valid receipt. You can do this online through our Queensland CTP claim portal or by contacting the CTP insurer.

The insurer will then assess whether the services were reasonable and appropriate. Please note that there is no guarantee that an insurer will continue to pay the ongoing cost of a service if they have not approved it before the service is provided. That’s why it is best to seek approval before your appointment, if possible.

Treatment by a public hospital or emergency services

Treatment of Queensland CTP claimants at a public hospital or by emergency services in Queensland is covered by the Hospital and Emergency Services levy which is included in the CTP insurance premium and you should not be billed.


Whiplash is one of the most frequently-recorded injuries among people with CTP insurance claims in Queensland. MAIC supported the development of the Whiplash injury recovery: a self-help guide (PDF, 1MB) for people with whiplash injury. This is designed to supplement care provided to you by a health professional.

Working after injury

Most people injured in motor vehicle crashes recover quickly and remain at work during the rehabilitation process. Continuing at work, even in a reduced capacity has important health and wellbeing benefits. Some people require more assistance to return to work due to the severity of their injury or the nature of their work. Early return to work and activity helps prevent long-term disability and improves the likelihood that you will be able to continue at work.

If liability for the accident is denied

If the insurer denies liability, you are responsible for your own treatment and rehabilitation expenses. You may be reimbursed for these costs if it is determined later that the insurer is liable. In the meantime, you may be able to claim some or all of the costs from Medicare or through private health insurance and/or other personal injury insurance. From 1 July 2016, if you have a National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland (NIISQ) eligible injury (catastrophic injury) you may be able to access care and support through the NIISQ.

Rehabilitation disputes

If you do not agree with the insurer’s rehabilitation decision, ask the insurer to refer the matter to their internal dispute resolution service.

For disputes which cannot be resolved by direct negotiation with the insurer, you can apply to the Motor Accident Insurance Commission to appoint a mediator to help resolve the dispute as prescribed under Section 51(5) of the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994. Mediation is voluntary, there may be a cost and both parties must be willing to participate.

If a dispute cannot be settled by direct negotiation or mediation, you or the insurer may apply to the Court to decide what rehabilitation is reasonable and appropriate.

More information

If you have further queries on rehabilitation for your injury, talk to your doctor or rehabilitation provider, the insurer, your solicitor (if you are legally represented) or contact us.

Last modified 15 June 2022


Got a minute?

We'd love your feedback on our virtual assistant.

Start survey

No thanks

Hello, I'm Andi. I'm here to help you with your CTP related enquiries.