Complaints and feedback

We are committed to continuous improvement in delivering an affordable, efficient and fair Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance scheme for the Queensland community. In line with Queensland Public Service values and obligations, our management of complaints and feedback is designed to be impartial, confidential and transparent. It also reflects our commitment to respecting, protecting and promoting human rights. We invite your feedback on the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC) and/or the Nominal Defendant (ND).


Submit feedback online

Alternatively, you can provide feedback

Feedback can be provided anonymously to us online or by telephone.

Submit complaint online

Alternatively, you can provide feedback

The MAIC complaints process involves the following stages:

Under the Human Rights Act 2019 (Qld), you can make a human rights complaint if you believe that MAIC or ND (including its staff) has acted or made a decision that is not compatible with human rights, or has failed to give proper consideration to a human right in making a decision. In assessing your complaints, we will consider whether your human rights have been impacted, even if you do not expressly raise the issue.

We seek to proactively resolve complaints in line with the following service standards:

  • acknowledgement of your complaint within 5 business days
  • response to your complaint within 30 to 60 business days depending on the type of complaint (human rights complaints have a response time of 45 business days).

CTP claims by their nature can involve different points of view at various stages of the process, so a claimant and an insurer may have different points of view. For example, this could be in relation to—who is most at fault for the accident or the amount of compensation, which is fair in the circumstances.  Usually, such matters can only be resolved between the parties or determined by the Court.

Disagreements between a claimant and their legal representatives should be directed to the Queensland Law Society or the Legal Services Commission.

One of the functions of MAIC is to supervise and monitor the management of claims by CTP insurers. If you have a complaint in relation to insurer conduct or compliance with their statutory obligations, you should first make your complaint to the insurer involved. If you are unsatisfied with their initial response, you should request an internal review be conducted by the insurer.

The below table provides links to each insurer’s webpage, which outlines details of their complaints process, including requesting an internal review.

Insurer Link to insurer complaints process
AAI/Suncorp QLD CTP Insurance Claims | Suncorp
Allianz CTP Insurance QLD Claims | Allianz
QBE CTP Complaints | QBE
RACQ Feedback and complaints | RACQ 

Note: RACQ stopped providing new CTP insurance policies from 1 October 2023 but will still manage claims for the period that they were the CTP insurer at the time of the accident.

If you have received an internal review of your complaint by the insurer and you are still not satisfied, you can lodge your complaint to MAIC.

Submit complaint online

Alternatively, you can provide feedback

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint or the manner in which we handled it, you may request an internal review. If you are not satisfied with the internal review outcome, you may request an external review by the Queensland Ombudsman or, for human rights complaints, the Queensland Human Rights Commission.

Last modified 29 September 2023


Got a minute?

We'd love your feedback on our virtual assistant.

Start survey

No thanks

Hello, I'm Andi. I'm here to help you with your CTP related enquiries.