For Queensland registered vehicles, the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance policy of your vehicle covers the trailer you are towing. So, for example, if you tow a trailer registered in Queensland, your Queensland registered motor vehicle’s CTP policy extends to that trailer. As CTP insurance is effective Australia-wide, Queensland registered motor vehicles can travel interstate with a trailer attached and be covered for personal injury*. This is the case regardless of the GVM of the trailer.

The Queensland CTP Policy – Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994

This policy extends to liability for personal injury* caused by, through or in connection with a trailer attached to the insured motor vehicle or that results from the trailer running out of control after becoming accidentally detached from the insured motor vehicle.

Class 24 – Supplementary Policy

Trailers with a GVM of over 4.5T are eligible to purchase a supplementary CTP policy known as ‘Class 24.’ Class 24 is intended to complement the coverage provided by the hauling vehicle in scenarios* other than those covered by the CTP Policy as described above. For example, if a Queensland registered trailer is intentionally detached and causes personal injury in or outside of Queensland.

To calculate the cost of Class 24 insurance, please visit our CTP Premium Calculator.


All queries regarding trailer registration should be directed to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR). Further information about registering trailers and heavy vehicle requirements can be found on their website.

Last modified 3 December 2020


Got a minute?

We'd love your feedback on our virtual assistant.

Start survey

No thanks

Hello, I'm Andi. I'm here to help you with your CTP related enquiries.